Words by @EXPLOREWITHBRENDAN
Clean drinking water is an essential component of modern life and for explorers like me it’s essential to have access to it on the go.
I was recently given two of Grayl’s new and improved water purifiers by Webtogs. The ULTRAPRESS and the GEOPRESS use the same technology to filter water so the content in this blog will mostly feature the ULTRAPRESS as that is the one I chose to focus on, my first impressions are that these are a game changer for hikers and campers especially if you’re on multiple day treks. The way these bottles filter water means you can then poor the water out without having to suck on a straw.
How does it do this I hear you ask? Well here’s a video I made taking you through the 4 steps to Purifying water with the GRAYL Ultrapress.
As you can see it’s a really simple process and one you can easily do as you find a water source on your adventures. If you’re interested in specs here’s some for the ULTRAPRESS:
- Capacity: 16.9 fl oz (500 ml)
- Weight: 12.5 oz (354 g)
- Height: 9.75″ (24.77 cm)
- Diameter (at base): 2.95” (7.5 cm)
- Active Technology: ion exchange, ultra-powdered activated carbon.
- Fast-Flow Rate: 10 seconds per 16.9 fl oz (3 liters/minute)
- Removes: Waterborne pathogens (99.99% of viruses, 99.9999% of bacteria, 99.9% of protozoan cysts), including Rotavirus, Hepatitis A, Norovirus, Giardiasis, Cryptosporidium, E. Coli, Cholera, Salmonella, Dysentery and more.
- Filters: Particulates (sediment, microplastics) and ultra-powdered activated carbon adsorbs many chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, heavy metals, VOCs, flavors and odors.
- Durability: Withstands 10 ft drops (full of water) onto concrete.
- Cartridge Lifespan: 300 presses (150L/40 gal), as “press time” reaches ~25 seconds (or three years have elapsed since first use) it’s time to replace your purifier cartridge.
- Cartridge Shelf Life: Stored under proper conditions, an unopened Purifier Cartridge has a shelf life of 10 years. After a cartridge has been used, it lasts at least 3 additional years.
- Materials: Made from BPA-FREE polypropylene #5, food-grade silicone, TPE and ABS food-grade plastic.
- Testing Standards: Independently tested by a certified laboratory to meet or exceed NSF/ANSI protocols 42 and 53 for sediment, pathogen and chemical removal; meets the EPA Guide Standard and Protocol for testing microbiological water purifiers.
One thing to be aware of is that like all filters, the Grayl filter does have a lifespan. As you can see from the specs above the Ultrapress will last around 300 presses (or three years have elapsed since first use) that’s when you know it’s time to replace your purifier cartridge.
Doing Your Bit For The Environment
Another benefit of using a water purifier like this is that you remove the need for single use plastic water bottles and can help the environment as well as yourself filling up as you go. You can use it to pour water into your reservoirs for food/boiling or even to share with others in their own bottles.
In terms of water bottles, the ULTRAPRESS AND GEOPRESS are quite pricey. Ranging from around £70-£90 on Webtogs But before you think that’s way too much for you, consider this: whilst travelling without a water filter, you may end up spending a lot of money on bottled water and you then must carry that from the start of your hikes rather than filling up and drinking as you go.
If you’re in need of an allrounder water bottle that will purify water for you or your friends/family members when out hiking or camping this is the bottle for you. I loved how practical and easy it was to use. The Utrapress is something I’ll now take with me on every hike and if I’m camping the Geopress will give me the option to purify a lot more water if I need it to use for food or other types of drinks.
Have you had the chance to try these out for yourself yet or has this convinced you to finally take the plunge and purchase one for yourself? Let us know in the comments.
To see more adventures and hiking content follow EXPLOREWITHBRENDAN on Instagram HERE
Explore & shop the Grayl range available on site HERE